The first mention of The West End can be found in the West Riding Trade Directory dated 1867, where it’s listed as a Beer House. The first licensee, Mr William Tordoff, did not purchase a wine license until 1875. Prior to 1872 The West End’s closest neighbours were the Harding family, living in what is now the Abbey House Museum. Then work started on some stone terraces around The West End, and they were named Tordoff Place and Tordoff Terrace after the pub’s landlord. Other members of the Tordoff family were also licensees in the area.
Ben Tordoff : The Yorkshire Hussar, Stanningley
Wilfred Tordoff: The Cardigan Arms, Bramley
Walter Tordoff: The Malt Shovel, Armley
Although originally known as The West End House, between 1898 and 1922 the name was changed to West End Inn. During this period Masonic lodges and societies used it as their headquarters.
1899-1916: The National Independent Order of Oddfellows
1906-1922: The Druids Lodge
1921-1922: The Steam Engine Workers Society
Kirkstall Brewery, now converted to student accommodation, supplied beer to The West End from 1867-1936. Then Duttons brewery from Lancashire bought Kirkstall Brewery along with two other local breweries, Albion Brewery and Willow Brewery. They in turn were bought by Whitbread in the early 1960s, who then sold to the present owners in 2001. Memorabilia from Kirkstall Brewery can be found around The West End.
1867 William Tordoff
1882 William George Tordoff
1898 Thomas Jackson
1901 John Roundell
1904 James Dobson
1909 John Pocklington
1920 John Armstrong
1932 Walter & Elsie Peel
1952 Elsie Peel & Elsie Armstrong
1973 William Craven
1978 Les & Maureen Russell
1992 Paul Gill & Robert Trainor